Sunday, October 25, 2009

Skeletons

What's in YOUR closet? I'm not talking about shoes, clothes, ugly ties or dust bunnies. I'm not even referring to a real, physical closet. I'm talking about that proverbial one, the one that everyone has. The one that is sometimes home to skeletons.



It's true, I do have a bit of Halloween on my brain. No matter what your views happen to be on this contentious "holiday," I figure the week of October 31 is an appropriate time to mention skeletons.

And just like those proverbial closets, I am also talking about proverbial skeletons. Everyone who has a physical one (I daresay that covers all of my readers,) has at least one proverbial one in the closet. Some of us have more than one. (Some of us have had to upgrade from closets to self-storage units to house all of the skeletons.)

There are a handful of early references in literature to skeletons hidden in various parts of homes (cupboards and inside walls in addition to closets) going back as far as the beginning of the 1800's. However, nobody can definitively say where the phrase "skeletons in the closet" originated.

It's clear, though that the idiom had been widely accepted in pop culture and understood to refer to the keeping of some sort of dark, hideous secret. After all, no one would ever put a skeleton on display in, say, the living room. Doing so would lead to many uncomfortable questions and give rise to much suspicion. It would surely lead visitors to question how such a thing would have even come into one's possession in the first place. While I suppose one can order just about anything off the Internet these days, I think it would be more likely that the possessing of a skeleton would almost always have more dubious origins.

I often think that we Christians are the most skilled of all people at keeping our skeletons hidden away. There may be numerous reasons for this, but I think the most obvious one is that we fear what our fellow Christians would think if they could see our skeletons.

Whether our fear of being judged is based on experience or nothing more than lies planted in our brains by the Father of Lies himself, the fear is very real. Unfortunately, when we all keep our skeletons hidden away, we collectively create a false reality that is not necessarily conducive to true Christian community. The more perfect and put-together everyone else seems, the more reluctant we are to share our deepest struggles with one another. The less we share our deep struggles with one another, the harder we work to keep up a false front of perfection. Eventually, this vicious circle can lead to spiritual bondage to those "skeletons."

Whenever I think about this concept of skeletons, I think of King David. If anyone had a reason to feel like hiding his skeletons it was him. Once a mere country shepherd boy, he was plucked out of virtual obscurity and was nurtured and prepared to become one of the greatest kings of all time. He was respected as a leader and feared as a warrior. He had felled a Philistine giant and gotten closer than anyone had ever gotten to two hundred other Philistine warriors and had 200 "trophies" to prove it (I Samuel 18:27), enough to impress the King whom he would later succeed and whose daughter he proved himself worthy to marry.

I often wonder about David's skeletons.... what if his subjects learned of David's humble past and his former occupation? He hadn't even been the oldest in his family. In fact, he was the youngest. What would happen when David's army discovered that their mighty leader had perpetrated a cowardly act and sent one of his loyal soldiers to his death in order to cover up the fact that he'd stolen that soldier's wife? Yet despite his shortcomings (some that would eventually become extremely public), God managed to use David anyway (even after at least one skeleton literally came tumbling out of the closet by way of a scandalous pregnancy.)

The Bible is full of colorful characters with "skeletons" aplenty. Like the apostle Paul, the great missionary to the Gentiles whose integrity lead to his release from an unjust imprisonment and the salvation of a jailer, but whose past was colored by the commission of multiple murders. Like Jesus' disciple Peter, who traveled the country preaching the resurrected Christ to his fellow Jews. After all, he had once, at one of his low points, publicly denied the same Lord about whom he now preached not once, not twice, but three times. And like even Jesus himself, whose own mother had borne him out of wedlock, and whose family origins were of the humblest blue collar despite his claim of royalty.

These wonderful characters remind me over and over again that skeletons need not hold me back. If God can use an adulterer, a murderer and a lying traitor, he can probably use me too, even in spite of, or maybe even BECAUSE of, my skeletons.

I must remind myself constantly that however "put together" everyone else looks compared to me, I know that they all have proverbial skeletons too. Praise God that He sees our skeletons that we sometimes try so adeptly to keep hidden away. Not only does He see them, he sometimes asks us to open the closet door and let others see what's inside too. He has done so for me, and while it hasn't been without some trepidation and pain (I have found myself at times fighting against myself to wrench that door open) it has never been without reward.

No comments: